Please see in the following a brief introduction to my work and to my current research. My practice is thematically-driven and spans installation, photography, material experiments, design, drawing, computer-generated art, and most recently the written and spoken word. My focus is concepts of nature as understood through science, the poetic, technology and eco-futurism. I am currently artist in residence with the Advanced Nanoscale Engineering Group at the University of Oxford.
Projects referenced in Presentation 2:
- Landscape photography. ‘Mass of Carboniferous Igneous Rock, Grimselpass, Switzerland‘ from the series Lithosphere, 2018.
- Biosystem. Multiple dates and scales. Installation of living orbs with air plants, preserved and living mosses, other. Living sculptures made 2010, 2014, 2017, 2018, 2020.
- Two installations: living mushrooms and propagated bindweed with lab glassware and wood. From my first solo exhibition Biosphere, 2011.
Untitled Sierpinski pyramid made with soil and sphagnum moss vacuum wrapped in plastic. 70cm high at apex. 2020.
- Power Structure 2012-2013. Sierpinski pyramid made with electrical conduit and LED lights, photographed at multiple locations in Dublin. 3.2metres high at apex. With artist Dave Madigan.
- Blackout, 2012. Installation of spent peat ash from a national power station and various transmission gears. With artist Dave Madigan.
- Material experiments (salt crystals presented as Still Life)
Spectraphagia split light, propagated plants, glassware, wood.
- Climate Simulator (2013 and 2017). Light scattering and cloud modelling in water to create skyscapes. Photography and moving image. Selected for the Antarctic Pavilion, 57th Venice Biennale of Art, 2017.
- Climate Simulator Phase II, 2017. Machine constructed for observing fluid circulation, Couette flow and turbulence. Similar machines are used by mathematicians to study atmospheric science.
Sample drawing. A3, pen and pencil on paper. 2020.
- Sample of virtual landscape created using 3D modelling software. Used in The Other, 2020.
- Moonflower, slate, glue, cement, clay.
- Samples of prose poetry: written, spoken and performed by me. Excerpt from The Aspen Tree, 2020.
- Sample of large-scale installation, Unknown Shores, 2014.